A Modern Take on Pizza: Crust is overrated anyway
Okay so I actually do love pizza crust, but if you are trying to cut back on carbs I got you! Rule #1: Never be afraid to try something outside of your comfort zone. Since I went vegan, I have learned how fun it is to experiment with different flavors. Seasoning is key to unlocking the full flavor town experience!
Still following? Alright so hear my out... eggplant pizza! This is our tired and true recipe.
The eggplant takes the place of the pizza crust! Such a low-carb dinner that leaves room for yummy vegan dessert.
This meal has literally become a weekly meal for my boo and I. We love it because you can always switch up the toppings, so it is a different eggplant ‘za each week. Since we have cooked this meal so often, I am confident in our recipe.
- Large Eggplant
- Banana Peppers
- Vegan Pizza Sauce
- Vegan Mozzarella
- Meatless Crumbles
- Crushed Red Pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 400*F.
2. Slice the eggplant into even 1/3-inch rounds.
3. Lightly salt each side of the eggplant rounds. Let them sit on the towel for 15-30 minutes to let them “sweat” some of the water out. I have found that the longer they sweat the better they cook.
4. After they have “sweat” now you press down on them to squeeze more water out of their little eggplant bodies.
5. Place the rounds onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Lightly brush each side with extra virgin olive oil.
6. Now top to your liking and bake for 20 minutes.
7. When they are done try not to burn your mouth off because I do almost every time! I cannot help myself they look so yummy.